NRS Day events are a great way to increase awareness about your reserve and the 39-site system among students and faculty, your reserve's community, and the general public. Events can spotlight research and education taking place at reserves, attract more scientists, artists, teachers, and other users, and bolster relationships with reserve donors and neighbors.
This toolkit offers ideas and promotional resources to help you hold an NRS Day event of your own. It includes a list of possible activities, downloadable flyers and images, and examples of banners that you can borrow for the duration of the event, as well as information on who to contact to get additional resources.
Feel free to share your festival plans and help fellow NRSers hold top-notch, standing-room-only events of their own. Email your ideas, postcards, flyers, photos, etc. to Kathleen and we'll do our best to add them to this resources page.
NRS Day activity ideas
- student poster session featuring research projects that have taken place on reserves. Consider adding a wine and cheese reception to bolster attendance.
- faculty, researcher and/or manager lectures, TED-style talks, or 5-10 minute “lightning talks” about specific research projects on the reserves.
- a "virtual field trip” presentation featuring various reserve species, environments, and activities.
- Hikes or guided nature walks on reserves, especially those near campus
- Samples of flora, fauna, fossils, and rocks found at reserves arrayed at an interactive "touch table."
- table with NRS display and info about reserves--NRS postcards, fact sheet, newsletter sign-up sheet and flyers (Mildred E. Mathias Graduate Student Grant Program, NRS Field Studies Program, etc.)
- handouts about or presentations of reserve programs such as Adventure Risk Challenge
- slideshow of video and/or photos from reserves displayed on a computer monitor or projector screen. Could be played in the background during your event or serve as the focus of talks
- performances and displays of art inspired by and created at the reserves
- Stargazing dinner at a reserve - add tours, music and wine and engage donors and neighbors of the reserve.
"research teach explore"
Research teach explore is our 50th anniversary theme. You'll find it on the anniversary postcards, the vertical banners, and the press release. To encourage you to use this theme in your NRS Day materials, we've provided a zipped file containing eps image files of the theme in five colors: UC blue, vintage navy UC blue, UC gold, black, and white. In case you'd like to know, the font used here is Kievit Offc Pro.
NRS Fact Sheet
NRS by the numbers, including acreage, grant funding, user statistics, publications, etc.
reserve handouts by campus
Nine different handouts, one for each UC campus administering NRS reserves. Designed to be printed on tabloid paper.
2015-2016 Mildred E. Mathias Graduate Student Research Grant flyer
Use this flyer to encourage UC graduate students to apply for next year's Mathias Grant program.
NRS Field Studies Program flyers
These flyers provide information about the NRS's new field studies course, which is open to students from all general UC campuses. Flyer comes in three designs: Burns Piñon Ridge, Blue Oak Ranch, General
Sample event flyer
Help attract people to your NRS Day event; this postcard from UC Santa Barbara's 2013 NRS Day is an excellent example.
Sample press release
Attract attention from campus periodicals and the local area with a detailed press release.
Contact Lobsang for a sample or to assist in the preparation of a slideshow for your event.
These materials can be shipped to your location; banners come with postage for return to the NRS. Please contact Kathleen with your request. It's best to reserve the use of banners as early as possible, in case several NRS Day events will occur on the same date.
50th anniversary banner
A heavy-duty 6 foot by 3 foot banner featuring the NRS 50th anniversary logo; link shows the banner in action at a Systemwide Office NRS birthday celebration.
NRS 50th anniversary postcards
Five designs: Boyd Deep Canyon, San Joaquin Marsh, Sedgwick, White Mountain, Younger Lagoon. Backs are identical save for caption identifying the name of the reserve pictured on the front.
chocolates with NRS logo
Dark chocolates shaped like an oak leaf and acorn; four pieces per package.